Sunday, October 12, 2008

A Message from the Heart

Since we are a good ways into the new school year, I realize that many of you who are reading this blog are probably experiencing days filled with school assignments, tests, deadlines, projects, home work, music practice, and extra-curricular activities. I would imagine that, as full-time students, your lives are quite busy right now. However, no matter how busy your days may be, no matter how full you feel your life is with the constant pace of school, may I encourage you in something? Make seeking the Lord your top priority. I’m not just speaking of the concept of “having devotions” for a quick 10 minutes in the morning or letting family worship be your only source of spiritual growth. I’m talking about dedicated time alone with God in a quiet place in which you are able to put aside the many things that clamor for your attention and simply focus your mind and heart on Him.

I was a full-time student too, for many years. I know how full the days can feel, and the pressure that can be there to meet deadlines on assignments. I know that the easiest thing to let fall by the wayside is daily quiet time with Jesus. After all, quiet times don’t receive grades and don’t come with fixed deadlines. Therefore, it’s so much easier to give priority to other needs that seem more pressing! But in the light of eternity, what is truly more important?

My friends, there is nothing more important in this life than your relationship with the Lord. And there is nothing that can replace the activity of seeking Him. Reading inspirational books, listening to stirring sermons, participating in family worship, and completing assignments for Bible class are all fine activities. They can even greatly benefit our lives! But they cannot replace time alone in God’s presence.

In the book that He wrote for us, the heart of our God is learned. And He says this:

The Lord looked down from heaven upon the children of men,
to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God.
(Psalm 14:2)

Set your heart and your soul to seek the Lord your God…”
(1 Chronicles 22:19)

Seek the Lord and his strength, seek his face continually.
(1 Chronicles 16:11)

The Lord is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him.
(Lamentations 3:25)

Without a doubt, school work is important. But my encouragement to you is to strive against allowing educational pursuits – or any pursuit for that matter – to receive more priority than Jesus Christ. When I was in high school, I made a commitment to the Lord to spend time with Him every day; praying, reading Scripture, journaling His teachings, and seeking to know Him better. Now, looking back, I truly believe that those daily moments spent in His presence have shaped who I am today and became the foundation upon which my relationship with Jesus continues to be built. The algebra, literature, and science I studied was important, but these subjects do not have much of a lingering effect on my current life. The rewards of seeking Jesus, however, continue to endure.

Thou wilt show me the path of life; in Thy presence is fullness of joy,
at Thy right hand are pleasures forever more. (Psalm 16:11)

If there’s anything Satan especially fights against, it’s our time spent in God’s presence seeking His face. Why? Because he knows that such a Christian will be a radiant and effective vessel of Jesus’ love to this world. Beware of distractions!

Oh my friends - I long to be faithful about seeking the Lord every day. Not because it’s something on my to-do list to be checked off out of obligation. Not because “Bible” is a subject in school that I am studying. But because of love. Because of desire. Because of true devotion to the One who loved me enough to breath life into me.
How about you?

When thou saidst, Seek ye my face;
my heart said unto thee, Thy face, Lord, will I seek.
(Psalm 27:8)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your "message from the heart". I really appreciated it.
I enjoy reading your blog-you have a lot of wisdom & your passion for Jesus is very evident.
Thanks again & keep up the good work!!
Julie Z. from OK

~ Jenifer said...

Dear Katrina,
How I needed to hear that! Once again, you have challenged my heart and motives. Thank-you so much for showing and encouraging others in your love for Jesus.
Recently, I have let my studies become such a big priority due to my desire to finish soon. This reminder was so timely!

How are you studies doing, by the way?

May the Lord bless you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the encouragement! This is a great reminder for both of us! His presence truly does bring joy and fulfillment!