Wednesday, February 10, 2010

An Article Worth Reading

"As I sit and watch CNN and FOX share news updates of the Earthquake it rips at my heartstrings. Anytime you hear of 150,000 people dying it can’t help but touch your heart. It can’t help but touch the heart of the world. In these times people give money... sometimes lots of it. They give it for three reasons. One, because they have compassion for the people in need. Secondly, because they are thankful that their family and their world was not at the epicenter. And thirdly, because they subconsciously just want the world to get back to normal so they can get on with their life. Often it is a combination of the three. I’m sure there are other reasons too.

I am not estranged from what is going on. I was on the ground January 12, 2010 across the border in the Dominican Republic when the shaking first started. Many of my best friends were at the mission I serve which is located only ten miles from the epicenter... much closer than the city of Port-au-Prince was. We lost 25 of our 54 buildings... we lost way too many lives. All four of our medical clinics are beyond repair. So please understand that what I am about to say comes from a heart of concern for everyone and everything that happened.

I have a fear that in the wake of this tragic disaster that many good ministries that are saving lives every day will be forgotten because the news headlines will simply “out shout” them. I doubt that there will be any nationally televised concerts to send help to the abortion bound child. Please remind your donors that abortion takes the life of over a million children every year in the United States alone. I hope and pray that those who support your work will not be sidetracked from an issue that stops the beating hearts of more children every day than the earthquake and its aftermath will, and it does this every year.

Please understand my heart. I lost friends in this Earthquake. I cry every day. People I know lost entire families. My heart aches for the people of Haiti. But one tragedy should not cause another. The Pregnancy Resource Center movement IS saving the lives of children every day. The Pregnancy resource center movement is saving more lives every year than we lost on January 12, 2010, and they are doing it nationally on less money than we are raising to help Haiti.

Please help Haiti, and please help rebuild the mission I serve, but please do not forget to save the lives you can save right there in your own towns and cities. Thank you for saving lives every day. Thank you for making a difference. Thank you for thwarting the earthquake of abortion in millions of hearts every year. Keep saving the children of the world."

Mike Williams

Missionary to Hispaniola (Haiti and the Dominican Republic)

No comments: