Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Anniversary Get-Away to Hocking Hills

Tomorrow marks four years of being the wife and side-kick of this good-lookin' guy!  
As is our annual tradition, we enjoyed a delightful anniversary get-away to the beautiful Hocking Hills of Ohio the past few days.  I can't tell you how much I was looking forward to this trip!  It is my one time of year that I get to have a couple days "off" from my full-time job at home and simply focus on my husband.  We had a wonderful time basking in God's creation, reminiscing over our years together, and just being the two of us!  

Hiking in Hocking Hills State Park was definitely a highlight of the trip!  The scenery was breathtakingly beautiful and incredibly serene.



A unique rock formation that reminded me of a diving board.

So much green - even on the rocks!

Old Man's Cave

The Lower Falls

Trees growing out of rocks.

Fun trails!

So many gorgeous waterfalls...but only one tree growing sideways out of the cliff. :)

Cedar Falls

Love birds!



After a three-hour hike, we were ready to pull up to our cozy accommodations at The Tree House cabin!

We immediately took advantage of the hot tub to soak our sore feet and tired bodies!

Afterward, we headed to the private lake on the property for a bit of evening fishing.

Nathan thought it would be fun to have a little competition and see who could catch the most fish.  Here he is reeling in one of his catches.  I finished the night with 6.  He caught 4.

However, the next morning, we took the supplied canoe out on the lake where Nathan had a very successful time catching and I only reeled in three.  He caught a grand total of 16 fish compared to my 9.  Fishing is a hobby Nathan has enjoyed since he was a child, and an activity he has graciously helped me learn to participate in!  We specifically chose the Tree House cabin out of the hundreds of cabin choices in Hocking Hills because of this private lake with fishing opportunities, and it did not disappoint!  There is something so peaceful about fishing in an environment like this.  It's been a fun activity to do together that we started on our honeymoon and have continued on several of our anniversary trips. :)  (Hopefully, the bit about a tippy canoe and me falling half-way into the lake will not be repeated on future trips!)

After a morning of fishing, canoeing, and hot-tubbing, we headed out for a very brief hike to Ash Cave, another notable attraction in the area.  

The beauty of God's creation is unsurpassed!

Once upon a time when I was single, I used to wonder if I would ever get married, who I would get married to, what our children would be like, and what sort of life we would have together.  Four years into marriage, I can only thank God every day for His goodness in bringing me this man.  He is my best friend, my lover, my hero, my pastor, my teacher, my companion, and the father of my children.  I still can't believe he chose me!  He is not perfect and neither am I, and we don't always agree on every little thing, but we have learned to extend grace that bears with the failures, patience that gives room for growth, and love that covers a multitude of sins.  The fours years we have spent together as husband and wife have been delightful and anything but dull!  Three moves, three churches, and three children later, we are closer than ever before!  I love this man with all my heart and am so thankful to be his!

No comments: