Thursday, June 3, 2010

Observations from a Corner Table

As the heat of the day gave way to a pleasant, breezy evening, I made my way to a rod-iron table at Market Street juggling school books and a salad to-go. I was to meet up with friends in an hour, so meanwhile, I spread my books out on the table determined to catch up on a few Bible college assignments as I munched on my dinner. Light jazz music was being piped through the speakers around Market Square, and the sound of childrens' laughter filled the air as they played in the grassy park area near my table. It was a beautiful evening.

Not long after I sat down at my park-side table, another family came over to a table close by licking ice cream cones. (I like to observe people when they don't know I'm watching them, simply because I find such observations to be fascinating and educational by turn.) This particular family looked very much the typical American family today: Father, Mother, Son, Daughter. The mother I guessed to be a working woman judging from her business attire and high heels. Manicured fingernails, blond highlights, and a Coach purse completed the picture, lending an air of wealth and material comfort. After awhile, the father and son wandered away to look at something in another area, leaving the mother and daughter at the table.

Curious to see if the mother would seize the opportunity to enjoy one-on-one conversation with her "tween" daughter, I discreetly peeked up from my books now and then to see how they got along. Things seemed pretty quiet at their table...

Suddenly, a child's shout to my left diverted my attention momentarily away from the mother-daughter scene toward a completely different scene. A raggedy-haired, barefoot boy, about ten years old, was calling for his little sister, telling her they had to stay on the grass. With squeals of delight the two then took off racing across the grass. I was amazed and delighted when I saw that the object of their excitement was their daddy.

They skirted around his legs with a "catch-me-if-you-can-attitude," and he immediately ran after them, a big smile on his face. Apparently, I had just caught up with them in the middle of a grand game of Chase! First, he chased his son, then his daughter, then his son again, back and forth around the grass. It didn't matter that he was dressed in nice slacks and a button down shirt, fresh from the office. It was obvious that he wanted to play with his children, and they were absolutely thrilled.

I was so intrigued by this beautiful scene of fatherly love being played out before me, I could barely tare my eyes away. How far we have strayed as a nation from the central theme of family-togetherness that such a simple thing as a father actually playing with his children made me stop and stare with amazement!

Glancing back toward the mother-daughter pair to my right, I was so saddened (but not surprised) to see the woman texting on her touch-phone rather than conversing with the precious daughter right in front of her. The girl didn't seem to mind; maybe she's used to it. She meandered around the table aimlessly, fingering the umbrella above, as they waited in silence for the dad and brother to return.

What a contrast between the two families.
A mother too connected to her cell phone to appreciate an opportunity to connect with her daughter.
A father who loved being with his children so much he was willing to get on their level and play chase, filling the air with their laughter.

I turned my attention back to the fun going on in the grassy area. By now, a woman (presumably the man's wife) had come up to the father, shopping bag in hand. They conversed for a few minutes while the little boy put his shoes and socks back on. I was again amazed when the father then bent over his son, kissing his upturned face several times and stroking his tangled hair as he spoke to him. I can't remember the last time I saw such a tender display of affection in public between a dad and his son. Next, the man took the shopping bag from the lady's hand and walked it to their car, before rejoining his family and walking on down the sidewalk.

I returned to my studies deep in thought over all I had just witnessed from my little corner table. So many emotions welled up inside me at that moment.
Gratefulness for parents who took the time to play with me, talk with me, and delight in me as a child (and now as an adult)...
Sadness for the state of so many families today who don't know how to enjoy being together untethered from the constant presence of electronic devices...
Gratefulness for this dad who set the example for everyone passing by that here was a man who loved his children and didn't mind showing it...
Desires and prayers for such a man to be the father of my children one day, Lord willing...

I am reminded from my corner table at Market Street that "better is a game of chase with a raggedy-haired, barefoot boy where love is, than a houseful of material wealth where deep relationships do not thrive." (Paraphrase of Proverbs 15:7)

2 comments:

Janalee May Duarte said...

WOW Katrina! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us. Like you I am so thankful that I have a family who was and is willing to have time for me and for my siblings. Growing up I always knew that I was my parents primary ministry, and I am so thankful for that. May the Lord continue to bless you!

Kate said...

Wow Katrina, this is so true. Thanks so much for sharing!
And I also greatly enjoyed watching the YouTube videos about CMO! It's good to be able to get a peek at what is being accomplished by this ministry in the Ukraine!