Thursday, June 27, 2013

Thankful Thursday

A long while ago, back when I was living in Bolivia, I read Ann Voskamp's book One Thousand Gifts and was impacted forever by its simple, yet profound message.  At that time, I started a list of one thousand gifts for which to give thanks to God.  The items on this list were oftentimes very small things in nature...but that was kind of the point.  So often, I had been faithful to thank the Lord for big things, but I would completely miss the small, tiny details of His goodness in everyday life that He so lovingly bestowed upon me.  Keeping a running list of His many gifts taught me to be always looking for them and always thankful for them.  This simple act also began to cultivate in my heart an attitude of constant gratitude that proved to be transformational as I endured various trials.

Somewhere in the flurry of wedding planning, getting married, expecting a baby, and moving to a new state, I stopped writing my list.  I had made it to 500 but no further...at least on paper.

Now, in this new season of new trials and afflictions, I have decided to take up list writing once again.  While I certainly haven't stopped giving thanks as I go about each day, there is something about writing it all down that helps me to see in plain black and white just how good God is and causes a song of praise to hover over my heart.  And after all, a song of praise is so much nicer than a black cloud of discouragement. :)

So here we go.  One year after ceasing to write my list to 1,000 gifts, I again take up my pen (keyboard?), pick up with gift #501, and dedicate Thursdays to be the day in which my list goes public.

Anyone care to join me?

Today I am thankful for...

501. My sweet husband who loves me unconditionally, cares to see me get better, takes the trash out, and makes a mean omelette! :)

502.  My darling little boy whose smiles, coos, laughter, and curiosity about the world fill my days with sunshine, even when there is great pain

503.  The stunningly beautiful sunset God painted across the sky last night

504.  The strength to clean my floors today

505.  Excitement over starting to heal!

506.  Precious children and parents hearing the Gospel at our church's basketball camp this morning

507.  A washing machine right in my very own kitchen

508.  My baby's love for blankies that makes me smile when I peep in on him napping

509.  The smell of rain drifting in through the open windows as a summer shower pours down on our thirsty ground

510.  Friends with whom to walk this journey


1 comment:

Jenifer Duarte said...

I don't have a blog, but I do this in a journal, so yes, I will join you! :-)