Monday, May 5, 2008

The Things I Take for Granted

For Katelin's birthday this year, our family attended The Miracle Worker, the dramatized story of Helen Keller and her teacher, Anne Sullivan, as presented by a local community theater. The story was touching and the quality of the performance quite impressive!

Attending the show reminded me of the things I so often take for granted. Here is the story of a little girl who could neither see nor hear, but lived in both a dark and silent world...until Annie came along and oh-so patiently discovered how to communicate with Helen. How often do I roll out of bed in the morning without giving a thought to the fact that I can walk, see, hear, and talk?

Seeing this performance and learning about the 15,000 deaf blind children who live in our country this very moment has greatly deepened my gratefulness to the Lord for the daily gifts of sight and hearing. Every morning, I am trying to wake up with a prayer of thanksgiving on my lips for the immense blessings He has given of such seemingly simple things like hearing and seeing, but which, in reality, are enormous privileges.

The next time you enjoy a glorious sunset or hear the cheerful chirping of birds, I encourage you to take a moment to thank the Lord for such blessings!

2 comments:

Kalani said...

Thanks for this post. I just thanked the Lord for the beautiful chirping I heard from my sister's bird and the hands I have to type with!
I'm glad you mentioned how many are deaf and blind in the US. I never knew that. I never thought there were so many.

Evann said...

Wow...thank you so much for this post, Katrina! It is amazing how we take the wonderful wonders of sight and hearing and so many others for granted! Thank you for the reminder to pray!

Oh man...I never knew there were so many deaf blind children in the USA...wow...