Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Public Speaking Workshop

I really enjoy public speaking. And I strongly believe that public speaking is a valuable skill for Christians to have. It is Christians, after all, who have the most important message worth sharing, the Biblical worldview worth promoting, and the reputation of the King of kings worth upholding.

This past weekend, God gave me an opportunity to share this interest of public speaking with 9 other young ladies in the Dallas area. Our dear friends, the Bridges, asked if I would come teach a two day workshop on the subject for their daughters and a few friends.

As I began to prepare for the workshop, I quickly realized that knowing how to do public speaking myself was one thing. Teaching it to others was a totally different matter...especially in only two days' time! I prayed and prayed for God's wisdom in the endeavor. And He was so faithful to give it!

I'm excited to report that the workshop was a grand success! The Bridges' cozy home was a perfect setting for the event, and those in attendance proved to be wonderful students. I worked them hard and they responded very well. By the time the parent presentation rolled around at the end of the second day, each student had a great, 5-minute speech in tip-top shape that they were able to deliver smoothly and confidently. I was so proud of each of them!

Here are a few snapshots from our weekend together:

Rebekah and Melissa

Kate and Kylie

A funny picture of me teaching :)

Christa, Emily, and Nicole listening attentively

Kylie, Sharlena, and Kathleen taking notes!

The parent presentation


Christa speaking on the plight of orphans around the world

Kate's speech entitled, "What's In a Name?"

The Effective Public Speaking Workshop Graduates!

With the Bridges in Dallas

No comments: