Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Thoughts on Philippians 4

I have been greatly enjoying the Scripture memory project of Philippians 4 this week! Tara and I met for dinner last night and were discussing the tremendous blessing both of the words of this passage as well as the accountability of memorizing it with a group of young women.

Here are some of the insights God has been giving me for each verse this week:

Verse 1 - Therefore, my brethren dearly beloved and longed for, my joy and crown, so stand fast in the Lord, my dearly beloved.

Three things stood out to me about this verse.
1. Paul truly loved his fellow brothers and sisters in Christ and told them so plainly! He called them by endearing terms of affection that had to edify their hearts and make them feel special. :-) How about us? Are we being faithful to tell our loved ones that we love them? Do we make them feel special with the words we use?

2. Paul considered his disciples to be his joy and crown. I can totally relate to this verse! When I stand before the Lord someday in heaven, the treasure I will have to share with Him will not be anything I've accumulated on earth but only those precious souls who will be there because I card enough to share Jesus with them.

3. How important it is that we stand fast in the Lord! Standing fast requires strength and focus. It means not wavering or buckling under pressure. I have found this passionate urge of the apostle Paul to be a timely reminder as my family has been experiencing spiritual attack lately. What a comfort to know that our strength to stand fast is not something we muster up on our own, but something that comes directly from the Lord Himself! How I long to keep my focus on Him at all times!

Verse 2 - I beseech Euodies, and beseech Syntyche, that they be of the same mind in the Lord.

God places great emphasis on unity in His family and so should we! Where brethren dwell together in unity, there the Lord commands a blessing. Let us strive to be likeminded with our family and our Christian brothers and sisters.

Verse 3 - And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life.

Being a woman myself, I always appreciate the example of women in Scripture who served the Lord with their lives. Though we do not have names of women in this verse, we can see how much women were a part of the Gospel ministry even in Paul's day and age. He obviously valued their service enough to speak of it to others and ask for additional help on their behalf.

Verse 4 - Rejoice in the Lord, and again I say rejoice.

The command in this verse seems like such a simple concept - yet so often I forget to heed it! God is showing me more and more how much He wants me to be a joy-filled person, in every circumstance - no matter what.

Verse 5 - Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.

I looked up the word "moderation" today in the Strong's concordance and learned that it carries with it the idea of appropriateness, gentleness, and patience. I had to smile to myself at this definition. How often my mother worked with me during my growing up years to act appropriately in public! I certainly want to be known to "all men" as a young lady of good character. I especially liked the last phrase in this verse - the Lord is at hand. I realize this refers to the second coming of Jesus, but I also like to think of it as meaning that He is always with me. Just as my hand is always present with me, so is Christ. I need to act in such a way as to please Him who is always watching...always at hand.

Thank you, Lord, for the gift of Your Word!

2 comments:

Sarah Beth said...

thanks for sharing, Katrina. It was great chatting w\ you today!

Lots of love,

Sarah Beth

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comments, Katrina! It's helpful to hear your thoughts and insights also, as we memorize the verses together!