Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Gospel to "Every Creature"

Scripture commands us to "go into all the world and preach the Gospel to every creature." (Mark 16:15) As God has been taking me through His school of "fishing for men," He has been opening my eyes to the significance of a Gospel tract and the multitude of opportunities that abound for distributing them.

For those of you who may not be familiar with tracts, they are little booklets/pamphlets that explain the way of salvation through Jesus. So many times, as I'm out and about shopping or running errands, I don't have time to share the whole Gospel message with people I encounter, but leaving a tract is a great way to plant a seed in that person's life, pointing them to Christ and the way to heaven.

In this post, I'd like to share some of my favorite tracts that I've been using lately, ideas for where to pass them out, and what to say when giving them away.

My all-time favorite tracts come from Ray Comfort's ministry, Living Waters. The reason I like these tracts so much is because they are colorful and engaging. More importantly, though, sin is described using the 10 Commandments which has proven to be an effective way of helping people understand their need for Jesus as Savior. Then, in the second part of the tract's message, the Gospel is explained. Here are some examples...

The Million Dollar Bill Tract

This tract is sure to bring a smile to a person's face! I love giving this tract to cashiers or waitresses, especially. I usually say, "Here's a tip for your services. You can show all your friends that you made a million dollars off of me today! Even better, there's a really great message on the back that I hope you'll read in your spare time." Nearly every time, the person who receives this tract is very excited with it! Yesterday, I gave one to the girl at the dry cleaners and as I pulled out of the parking lot, I noticed she was intently reading the Gospel message on the back. Praise the Lord! Another seed planted.

Back in the spring, when the neighborhood garage sale was taking place around our subdivision, I took a stack of these million dollar bills around and made it a goal to give one to every person hosting a sale, whether I bought anything from them or not. I also gave several out to fellow customers. Once again, they were a big hit. At that occasion I said, "Here's something for you. I'm giving them out for two reasons - 1) to make you smile, 2) to ask if you've ever considered the Million Dollar Question: Do you know for sure that you'll go to heaven when you die?" In some instances, this question provoked further conversation.

Million dollar bills are great ice-brakers. Try it and see!



These two tracts take the reader through the 10 Commandments in detail to disprove the common understanding that "I'll go to heaven because I'm a good person." The Bible says the Law is given to be a mirror in our lives, showing our true conditions. No one is good enough to enter heaven because we've all broken God's commandments! The Bible also says, "The Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul." (Psalm 19:7) Once people are confronted with the truth of what sin is, then they can understand their need for the Savior.

The little booklet above marked "Are you a Good Person?" is appealing because of its cute little size. It also fits perfectly in purses and pockets. I often give them out to people saying, "Here's something to read in your spare time. You can put it in your pocket for later! It's message changed my life!" or "This is a message about how to know for sure you're going to heaven." These are also fun to leave behind in bathrooms or to slip inside pockets of clothes that are hanging in the stores, ready to be purchased by some lost soul!

The comic book version of the tract tells the story of a little fellow who thought he was a decent guy...until he was confronted with the 10 Commandments. It's a wonderful way to show the condition of all people in 3rd person - through the life of this little character. Plus, the tract is bright and cheerful and people usually want to read the story.



The Optical Illusion Tract

This tract doesn't even look like a tract at first glance! It's a delightful pamphlet full of fun optical illusions. In the very middle part, the Law and the Gospel is shared, drawing an analogy between the illusions of the booklet and the illusions of the world compared with the truth of God's Word. It's especially well-liked by young people! The other night, we went to a baseball game, and I gave one to the teenage fellow who was directing traffic in the parking lot. He seemed really bored in between the trickle of cars pulling in. I figured he'd have a long night ahead, so I gave him this tract as an eternal way to fill the time! He was so grateful!


The Atheist Test

This is one of my all-time favorite tracts! I haven't ordered any to pass out in mass quantity yet, though, because Living Waters has been out of them lately. But I recently received an email that the Atheist Tests are back in stock, so I plan to order soon! The reason I love this tract is because it describes the concepts of evolution in such a way that makes it look like the ridiculous theory that it is without being offensive. The reader is presented with such logical concepts that can't be aruged unless common sense is abandonded. If you are wanting to share proof with people that there IS a God, this is a great way to do so! Of course, the Law and the Gospel are also described toward the end of the booklet. You'll have fun reading this yourself!

To read the insides of all of these tracts from Living Waters and more, or to order your own copies, go to http://www.livingwaters.com/

The Little Bible Tract

One reason I like these little Bibles so much is that it contains pure Scripture. No other text - just God's Word, which will never return void. As it says on the front cover, the verses are mostly about salvation. I love to give this little Bible away with the words, "Here's the smallest Bible you'll ever see - but it has a big message!" Most people receive it readily with a smile and tuck it in their pocket.

Last week, we went with our church to another baseball game. Since there are thousands of people at the stadium, I got together a bunch of tracts to pass out and prayed for the boldness to give them away! :-) This little Bible was one of the main ones I used. As people were standing in line at the ticket booth, they looked like they could use a little reading material. So I told them I was giving out good news that night! It was their very own "Astros" Bible. (It's red, isn't it? The right color! The good thing is, the Cardinals were also playing that night...their color is red as well.)

The people standing in the ticket lines looked at me strangely for the most part...but many of them accepted the Bibles! I guess they've never had a complete stranger come up to them offering good news at the ball game! Some of them politely refused. It made me sad when people didn't want God's Word. I can't imagine what the Lord must feel at the rejection He faces from so many. But in such instances, I just smiled and moved to the next person.

There was one guy walking around with a "May I Help You?" sign, whose shirt was marked "Ambassador" across the back. So I went over to him and told him I was an ambassaor for Christ, giving out His Word. His smile in receiving the Bible was an encouragement!

As we navigated our way down the hallways, trying to find our seats, Katelin and I passed out tracts to vendors, Astros staff, and people just haning out doing nothing. I also had fun leaving tracts on counter tops to be discovered later. Tract distribution is a lot of fun...although it does take courage! So often, I get timid when I think of walking up to a stranger with a tract, but then I try to pray for boldness and remember to not be ashamed of the Gospel - it is the power of God unto salvation!

You can order little Bibles like these at http://www.littlebibleministry.com/


This tract, written by Michael Pearl, is larger in size, and takes a little longer to read. It presents the Gospel very thoroughly and clearly, with great illustrations throughout. I love giving this one to guys. They just seem to respond well to the picture on the front. I also like to use this to put on people's cars in parking lots. I used to look for the closest parking spot at stores. Now, I find one at the end of the lot, and slip these under the windshield wipers of all the cars as I walk towards the door to the store. Thankfully, no car alarms have gone off on me yet! :-)

Two weeks ago, a friend from church and I decided to hit the Wal-Mart down the street from church and place one of these tracts on all the cars until we ran out. It was so much fun! We even gave a few to real live people that we ran across in the meanwhile. The church's address is printed with a stamp on the back, so that people know where it came from, and if they want, they can come visit.

I also like to use this tract to slide into the handle of the pump I use at gas stations. It's long, so if curved, it fits perfectly and doesn't blow away when rolled up inside the handle. The next person who uses the gas pump after me is in for an eternal message!

This tract is free of charge. You can order them at http://www.nogreaterjoy.org/

Won't you join with me in sharing the Gospel with every creature? It's a big job to do! But think of all the hundreds of people out there who need to hear a message of hope before it's too late. Eternity is a long time to be wrong.

You may think tracts don't do much good. The devil has often tried to discourage me with this lie too. But then I remember Hudson Taylor, the missionary to China who won hundreds of people to Christ! He became a Christian because of a Gospel tract. That one little booklet was used of the Lord powerfully in his life, and as a result, it affected an entire nation of people!

We aren't called to produce results. We're simply called to plant seeds and water them. It is God who gives the increase. May He strengthen us to work while it is day! The night cometh when no man can work.

Time is short. Eternity is forever. Let's take as many people with us to heaven as we can!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an awesome post! My family and I use those tracts when we're witnessing, too.

~Shelby

~ Jenifer said...

All I say is WOW!
What an amzing, handy post for these great little 'tools'!
May God richly bless you as you continue to shine for him!

Sarah Beth said...

Thanks for sharing this post! I'm sure it took you a while to get everything written down! But I'm thankful that you took the time to include personal examples and testimonies.

Sarah Beth