Saturday, September 18, 2010

A Peek Into My Saturday...

It's Saturday around here. Usually that means sleeping in after a late night of sports at the cancha. Today, it meant waking up early to eat breakfast with a friend because sometimes friends are more important than sleep. :)

In the quiet of my dark room, I stumbled around pulling on jeans and a tee-shirt and trying to brush my teeth without waking my roommate. By the time I slipped my key into my pocket, padded downstairs, and snuck out into the peaceful, sunny morning waiting outside, I was fully awake. I walked over to the dining hall and found it empty...an unusual sight for the normally bustling campus hangout spot. I was a little early, so I availed myself of the opportunity to play a few hymns of worship on the beautiful grand piano in the building. Little by little, a few others trickled into the dining hall for the sparsely attended Saturday morning breakfast hour.

And then my friend arrived. We had a nice breakfast with the others at our table and I was glad I had come. An hour later, I returned to my still dark, still quiet room where my roommate was still sleeping. I switched on my little desk light and spent some time reading the Psalms and Proverbs. I wanted to pray but I was so tired. I crawled back into bed, pulled the blankets up over my head and enjoyed a most delightful hour of prayer-rest. This is my term for time spent talking to the Lord while dozing in and out of sleep. It is really quite refreshing and highly recommended for quiet Saturdays!

Soon, Samantha began to stir and eventually went about her morning routine for getting ready for the day. Only it wasn't morning anymore. It was nearly 12:00 noon and both of our tummies were rumbling! I pulled myself out of bed, finally feeling energetic enough to face the day...or at least what was left of it. :)

Another trip to the dining hall. This time, it was bustling with life as many students arrived for the all important mid-day meal. We were a lively crowd this time, talking and laughing in English and Spanish alike while devouring huevos rancheros.

Afterward, I returned to my room and commenced the usual Saturday afternoon activities; catching up on emails, reading/writing blog posts, listening to classical music while doing homework, making phone calls, and studying for several tests that I have coming up this week.

Now, it is 2:33 p.m. I will probably practice some music this afternoon and then I will meet up with a friend to study for our phonetics test together. After dinner, there will be more volleyball practice at the cancha since next week is the first weekend in a big school-wide tournament.

I love Saturdays...

No comments: