Saturday, February 1, 2014

A Healthier Cake

I went hunting for a whole-wheat-and-honey cake recipe this afternoon so I could have a healthier dessert ready for my husband when he arrived home tonight from being out of town.  We've been fighting a lot of sickness over here lately so I knew I didn't want any sugar entering the cake and thus compromising our immune systems further.  Truvia hasn't been working too well in recent recipes either, so that sugar substitute was out.  I have had great success baking with honey (the raw, local, good-for-you kind) in foods like banana bread, baked oatmeal, and cookies, but I've never been able to make a cake turn out wonderfully with honey.  Tonight, though, I decided to give it another go.

And I'm so glad I did!  This recipe proved to be just what I was looking for: healthy, delicious, and it called for ingredients I already had on hand.  Best of all, it passed the husband test!

We'll definitely be making this again! :)

2 comments:

Susannah! said...

It sounds really good!
My brother doesn't eat processed sugar and he has requested that I make it! :-)

Sarah said...

Thank you for posting the link for the cake recipe!
I tried it and it was delicious!
I didn't use as much vanilla extract as it called for and I added some cocoa powder to the frosting!