Saturday, August 30, 2008

My Soul, Boast Thou in the Lord


Today, I wanted to do a blog post boasting in my Heavenly Father a bit. :)

Matthew 6:33 has been on the forefront of my mind a lot lately. Here is what is says in the context of the passage: "Therefore take no thought syaing, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or Wherewithal shall we be clothed? (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your Heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." (Matthew 6:31-33)

As I have been praying for God's grace to live this verse on a daily basis, and as He has therefore been asking of me hard things - involving choices and practical actions that are testing my trust in Him - I am learning in a new way just how very faithful my Father is to reward trust in practical ways.

On Thursday evening after work, I stopped by my favorite resale shop in pursuit of a specific item. Instead, what I found was a 75% off sale on all summer garments! After an hour of shopping, I went to check-out with 5 new items of clothing in hand. As the cashier rang up my total, my eyes grew wide with surprise at the exceptionally cheap prices these clothes were costing. Matthew 6:33 kept ringing in my ears! All these things shall be added unto you.

Dark red lacy shirt from Worthington Stretch Petite - 48 cents

Melon colored shirt from Cherokee - 35 cents

Denim skirt from Old Navy - 48 cents

The only item I bought that wasn't on sale - a soft, teal green shirt from Christopher and Banks (paired with my own tank top underneath) - $3.93 - still an incredible deal!

And the icing on the cake - a beautiful, slender black dress skirt from Harold's - 48 cents!

I left the store that evening in awe of my Heavenly Father. Just a simple shopping experience - yet through it, I saw His hand of provision so dramatically! It was like He was giving me a tangible message saying, "See? I told you I was trustworthy."

My friends, let us not waste our time chasing after that which the world deems important - finanical security, a well-stocked wardrobe, careers that guarantee a high income. For after all these things do non-believers seek. Instead, I encourage you to join me on this adventure of seeking first the Kingdom of God - with our money, our time, our activities, our prayer lives.

I am coming to a deeper understanding of what the Scripture verse means when it declares that our lives are but vapors. We have only a short time to engage in Kingdom-building work, with no guarantee that we'll even be on the planet tomorrow. I am challenged by God's Spirit on a daily basis to live with eternity in mind.

I hope this story is an encouragement to you to rest assured that your Father knows your needs and will care for them if you will but trust in Him. He cares for sparrows and flowers; how much more will He provide for us, His dear children? No matter what sacrifices God may ask you to make throughout your life, trust Him to know what He is doing and asking. And then be prepared for Him to open the windows of Heaven and pour out a reward upon you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow---that's great! And, I have to say that, my mom and I love the Thrift Store/Resale Shops etc. ( "The junkier the better", as my mom says! lol :)

I love Matt. 6:33 by the way!

love always...and did you get my last email I sent you? (don't mean to be pesky, I just want to see how you are doing!)

Quinn

Anonymous said...

Katrina! That is so exciting!! There is no greater thrill in a girl's life than finding a great deal!! :) lol And the clothes are beautiful! I want to go shopping at some of our resale stores soon! :)

With love,
Kate

Sarah Beth said...

Katrina,
I LOVE your blog! It's really neat. I enjoy using the writing techniques you taught me in my writing too. I love ya bunches and miss you!! Can't wait to open your gift tomorrow!! Lots of love, Sarah Beth (Sarah Beara)