Thursday, November 20, 2008

Little Eyes Are Watching

Last night at church, my little friend Abbey (age 8) decided to sit next to me during the service as she often does. As our pastor began to wax long-winded in his message on the fruit of the Spirit, I guess Abbey was getting a little restless. She is by nature a mischeivous, impishly adorable child anyway, but last night, she seemed to think that it would be great fun to play copycat. I didn't notice her actions at first, but soon it began to dawn on me that every tiny move I made, Abbey copied.

I scratched my head. She scratched her head in the exact same place. I played with my fingernails. She played with her fingernails. I re-crossed my legs. So did she. Anytime I would look down at her, she would grin at me with a sly twinkled in her eye as though to say, "Isn't this a fun game?"

As humorous as it was to watch Abbey derive such amusment from copying my every move, I was reminded that the concept of copycat goes beyond just a little game. Little eyes are always watching those of us who are older. The question is, what are they seeing?

Are we setting a Godly example? In our actions? Our attitudes? Our tone of voice?

God used this experience with Abbey last night to remind me that we older girls have tremendous influence in the lives of our younger sisters and friends. Let us strive, therefore, to make sure that the example we are setting is one that we want them to follow.

2 comments:

Sarah Beth said...

Hey! Thanks for the reminder. Is that a pic of her too? She is SO cute!! Thanks for blogging... I love reading. Every time I learn something new that I want to include in my writing. I love your style. : ) lol

Lots of love,

Sarah

Katrina Marie said...

Hi Sarah! Actually, no, that is not a picture of Abbey. That is a picture I found on Google images that seemed to fit the post well! I don't have a picture of Abbey or I would have used it. :)

Thanks for faithfully leaving your input on each post! I'm glad you like reading!