Monday, October 5, 2009

A Sunday In My Life

Sundays are always simple days of church services and rest.

This particular Sunday started out like most others. I began the day with Bible reading and prayer. Since I was planning to teach out of Ezra, I read over the chapters ahead of time and marked which verses I wanted the children to read.

Next, I tacked two new missionary prayer letters to the church missionary bulletin board that I am in charge of and set it by the back door to be loaded into the car. These two letters were from two of our Rock of Ages Prison missionaries. One of them lives in the United States and one of them is a national missionary in Ghana, West Africa.

For a church that is still quite small at roughly 80 people, it is a real blessing to be able to support so many missionaries around the world. Currently, we support 12 families serving in Ukraine, Peru, Paraguay, Ghana, and the United States.

I spent the next hour getting ready for church and gathering my supplies for Sunday school and music ministry. Then, it was out the door we went!

We always get to church quite early which allows plenty of time to tune instruments and set up class rooms. The morning progressed with Sunday school and the morning service. Attendance was a little light due to sickness going around and the drizzly weather.

The children in my class did fabulously well with the reveiw game we played from last week's lesson. I was pleased to see how much they remembered! Since this week's lesson focused on the sin of the Israelites in inter-marrying with pagan women, our discussion centered around the importance of choosing wise friends and avoiding those people who tempt us to sin.

After church, my family came home and enjoyed warm soup for lunch followed by a restful afternoon. I practiced my alto part in a trio I'll be singing in with Katelin and a friend from church. Then, I ironed several shirts for my dad's upcoming work week while I watched the rest of a documentary about the life of George Muller. Lastly, I took a brief nap before returning to church for the Sunday evening service.

The Sunday evening service is my favorite out of the whole week! It's a smaller, intimate group on Sunday nights. We start out sharing testimonies of praise and answered prayer from our week mingled with the singing of favorite hymns. Then follows Pastor Taylor's message (which is always good!) and lastly, tear-down/clean-up (we use a rented day care facility). The tear-down time is always fun as it brings a real sense of teamwork and comraderie amongst the church family.

On this particular Sunday, however, while everyone else packed up our "moveable church" Katelin, Samantha, and I sequestered ourselves in another room with the keyboard to go over our trio. We'll be singing two numbers for the pregnancy center's upcoming fall fundraiser and we desperately needed a rehearsal! We didn't even get finished practicing the first song before the keyboard we were practicing on was needed to be packed away, so we brought Samantha home with us to continue the rehearsal in our own living room. It was great fun as well as hard work! Please pray that our music will bless the Lord and the audience at the fundraiser banquet on Thursday night!

At 9:00 p.m. we called it a night.

Whew! There you have it, ladies and gentlemen -- a week in my life! What a project! I enjoyed keeping this daily log, but I'll admit, I am glad my project of such an ambitious nature is over!

You've been a delightful audience. I wish you all God's best in this next week! May you seek Him first and foremost.

4 comments:

Kasey said...

I enjoyed your posts very much this week, Katrina!

quinn said...

I really thought you did a wonderful job with the week, katrina! i loved it!

-quinn

Esther said...

Katrina, I have been tempted all week to post, but thought I would wait till the end after the week was up.=) I have really enjoyed reading all your posts and think you have done a wonderful job! I would forget that I was a day ahead and would check your blog, then realizing that you hadn't even finished the previous day yet!

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the photos though=)

Keep the posts coming.;) lol.

Maybe you can drag Katelin to write a wedding prep post??? Would love to hear how she is going and all the prep for the big day!

Ok I think I'll stop now=)

Anonymous said...

What a great post! I have also enjoyed all of your posts this week!