Thursday, October 29, 2009

A Few Good Books

About two weeks ago, I received a mysterious package in the mail. It was addressed to myself with the sub-title "Maiden's Quest Ministries" underneath. "Hmm...that's curious," I thought. MQM hasn't been operating for nearly a year. Who would be sending me a package with the ministry name on it? I didn't recognize the return address containing the name of a publishing company from Tennessee.

With my curiosity piqued, I ripped open the padded envelope and found this book inside:


The title page inside had a hand-scripted message from the author, Trudy Harvey Tait. She had written the message to me and said she hoped this book would serve as inspiration for the ministry. Now, I was really asking questions! I'd never heard of Trudy Harvey Tait (so I thought), yet she apparently knew of me and the Maiden's Quest girls retreats! "How sweet," I thought. The book's summary looked interesting, so I set it on my nightstand and planned to begin reading it that evening.

Much to my delight, I found this novel entitled The Velvet Curtain to be intriguing, inspiring, and convicting! In fact, once I started it, I could hardly put it down!

This novel, set in the 1980's era, follows the life of a young Romanian woman, who flees her country during Communism's reign to live with relatives in America. At 19 years old, her deep love for the Lord Jesus and commitment to His ways causes her to be quite the example for all who grow to know her. However, Esther finds that in leaving the Iron Curtain of her homeland, she encounters a new curtain in America known in the book as the Velvet Curtain - a lifestyle that constantly encourages compromise and tempts her to reject her Christian beliefs in order to live the American Dream. Though the compromises are often subtle, they are significant enough to put Esther on a pathway to destruction. Her only hope of escape requires a heart-rending decision and a return to the precepts of Christ. The question is, does she have the courage to take such action?

The Velvet Curtain is a well-written piece of literature complete with realistic characters, romance, humor, an engaging story-line, and a timely spiritual message relevant to so many of the issues young women face today. I was blessed and convicted and finished the book in two days' time.

Come to find out, the author's husband left a message a few days later stating that they saw our Maiden's Quest website and were appreciative that we had listed one of their books on our Recommended Reading page. It turns out that they are the authors of a delightful children's book I've read called Asking Father. The Taits run a small publishing company committed to using their press for the furthering of Christian literature. The Velvet Curtain is Trudy's first novel. They were hoping that by sending me a copy, I would recommend it to others, which is precisely what I'm doing! There is a sequel to the book called Behind the Velvet Curtain that I would also love to read!

If this book piques your interest, you can order one online here.



I just finished the last page of this very inspiring biography a couple days ago, and cannot recommend it highly enough! Ray Comfort, founder of Living Waters, is a current-day minister of the Gospel whom I greatly admire. His teachings on evangelism have impacted my life more than words can say, while his personal example is one I long to emulate. This autobiography called Out of the Comfort Zone is bursting with typical Ray-Comfort-humor as well as incredible stories from Ray's life that you won't believe until you read. Definitely an inspiration! It'd be worth asking for this Christmas!


If you are a Christian, you need to read this book! As Christians, we are commanded by our Lord to "preach the Gospel to every creature." Unfortunately, we are living in a day when the Gospel message has been watered down to a happiness-recipe or at best, an "acceptance" of Jesus through a cute little prayer that supposedly serves as a ticket to heaven. There is very little mention, if any, of the true seriousness of sin, God's judgment, hell, or the need for repentance.

This book will teach you the 'why' and 'how' of sharing the Law of God in conjunction with the saving Gospel of Jesus in order to reach sinners in need of a Savior. It is a must-read! If you don't have time to read this book just yet, start by listening to a one-hour audio clip on the Living Waters website entitled, "Hell's Best Kept Secret." Beware though - it just might change your life!

2 comments:

Emily said...

That's so neat! And the velvet curtain does look interesting.

nmetzler said...

Wow, that book looks really neat! I will have to order it. I am working on a project right now that involves Communist Romania and Russia so that part of it intigues me as well as the compelling story idea...