Monday, June 13, 2011

The Faith of Children

Last night, I was asked to give a presentation to the children of the Patch the Pirate Club at our church about my upcoming missionary venture to Bolivia. I started out by showing them a map of the world so they could see where Bolivia was located in comparison to Texas. "Whoa! That's far!" came their exclamations of awe at the thought of such a long distance and plane ride. They loved the feel of the word "Cochabamba" on their tongue and practiced saying it several times.

Next, I proceeded to teach them the phrase, "Casa de Amor." Showing them pictures of a few of the babies and children who have received tender care
at this "House of Love," I explained what it means to be abandoned and why it is that many such children go to live there. My little crowd of navy-and-white-clad sailors sat in rapt attention with eyes as big as saucers as they heard the sad tales of children with no mommies and daddies to love them, who live on the streets or are left at the hospital after birth, who don't always know when they will eat again, and who have to beg on the street corners just to survive. I told them that although their stories start out so sad, they end happily as many are adopted into kind families who will love them forever or they get to grow up at Casa de Amor.

After explaining what I will be doing at Casa de Amor, I shared with my young friends how very much I would need their prayers. "And you know what?" I dropped my voice to an almost-whisper. "Having children like you on my prayer team means so much to me. Because I think that God really listens when children pray.
The Bible tells us we should have faith like a child. You see, we adults sometimes don't have very strong faith. We don't always think God can do this or that. But of course He can! He is very powerful and can do anything! You children know this. You believe God is powerful! You believe that when you pray God hears you. And so, I ask you to please pray for me in Bolivia." I went on to share a few specific requests with them and then I gave each one a prayer card to keep in their Bibles.

The presentation over, I was gathering up my visual aids when the Captain of the Patch club came up and told the children that he would like to pray for me right then and would anyone else like to come up in front and join him?

Now, I have to admit I didn't think there would be a very enthusiastic response to this question. I mean, there are few adults in our church circle who seem to want to voluntarily pray out-loud in front of others...I assumed the children would be the same.

Was I ever wrong. (What was it I had just stated about the faith of children?...)

As soon as the words were out of his mouth, more than half a dozen little hands shot into the air. He began calling on various ones to come up and join us at the front and as he did, more and more hands were raised. I think that almost all 17 sailors would have chimed in on the prayer if they could have, but as it was, the captain called upon six or seven of them. Ranging in age from 4-11 years old, they gathered around me and one-by-one, began to pray. My heart was so touched by their earnest pleas! They prayed for the requests I had stated as well as ones they came up with all on their own.

"God, please help Miss Katrina care for these little babies and show them love so they can know Your love one day."

"Dear Lord, please keep Miss Katrina safe in her car when she drives to the airport."

"Help her to have patience."

"God, help Miss Katrina not lose her money."

"Please Lord, keep her safe and help her not lose her passport or other papers."

"Please let the plane not have any crashes."

"Dear God, please take care of the children who don't have mommies and daddies."

"Lord, allow these babies and children to experience Your healing in their lives and grow up to love you."

I can't tell you how very blessed I was by the faith of these precious children! Their desire to talk to God on my behalf and pray for the little ones they had just heard about meant the world to me. Truly, children make some of the best prayer partners.

We've all probably heard it said that children are the church of tomorrow. Well, I would like to propose that they are also part of the church of today. A very valuable part.


"At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?

And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them..."

Matthew 18:1-2

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I almost cried reading this post! How precious!

I'm a part time nanny and just the other day, the kids, (ages 1 and 2) were playing in one room while I put something away in the next. Suddenly the 1 year started crying. Just as I was about to walk through the door to find out what was wrong, I heard a little voice..."Tarson (his name is Carson)feel better. Jesus name. AMEN!"
I have been praying with them when they get hurt and it was so precious to see the 2 year old pray with her brother all on her own!
IN Him,
~Sarah H.