Saturday, June 4, 2011

A Time to Rest

It has been three weeks now since I came home from language school. Three weeks of much-needed rest, a fairly empty calendar, and time to enjoy the simple joys of life that I so easily pass up in the usual flurry of activity.

I think this has been the first time ever that I have not been living according to a schedule that is packed full to the max. I can't tell you how wonderful it has felt to slow down! Usually, I love being busy "about my Father's business" because it means days full of purpose. However, God has shown me these last three weeks that there is also great purpose in stopping to smell the roses; to be still and know Him as God in a season of quiet.


My exhausted body has needed to sleep. My spirit has needed to be refreshed in leisurely mornings spent in the Word or listening to sermons. My mind has needed the renewal that comes from reading good books. Overall, I have needed to be out from under the dictates and stress of a schedule and the constant running from one activity to another.

I don't want to live this relaxed indefinitely. In another couple of weeks, I will be more than ready to jump back into a busy life once again as I transition to Bolivia and devote my time to the care of busy little ones. However, I am so grateful that God saw fit to orchestrate this extended time of rest and rejuvenation. As I sit on the sidelines and watch the flurry of those around me, I have come to the conclusion that everyone should take a sabbatical like this - every now and then - just to come away and rest. It's so healthy. Even Jesus did this with His disciples.

I pray that when the time comes to launch back into the busyness once again, I will not forget the important lessons learned in the quiet; that I will take the time to enjoy the simple joys of the present and not always be thinking about the next activity to be checked off the never-ending to-do list.

"For thus saith the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel; in returning and rest shall ye be saved; in quietness and confidence shall be your strength." Isaiah 30:15

No comments: