Saturday, September 7, 2013

An Update on the Little Man

Behold the bucket head!

He somehow managed to do this himself! :)


Isaac has been eating solids now for about a month.  In addition to rice cereal, his menu also includes pureed squash, avocado, and sweet potato.  So far, sweet potato is the all-time favorite!  (Is this indicative of a sweet tooth like Daddy's???)

Watching Daddy do his stretches...

"Hi, Mom!"

A few fun expressions after we got back from a walk the other day: happy...

goofy...

pensive....

cheerful...

cheesy!

Isaac is now at the stage of development where he has an insatiable curiosity about the world around him and easily gets bored of toys and household items if they don't do something interesting.  He keeps me on my toes to constantly be looking for new play things and activities to satisfy his drive to discover.  He also wants to be a part of every thing I am doing, touching and tasting it all!  This makes life a bit challenging at times when I need to get things done without little hands always grabbing or a heavy baby sitting on my hip. :)  I have learned to make the most of his nap times, that's for sure!

However, I have also been making a conscientious effort to not let tasks take a higher priority than my child.  I try to get on the floor and play with Isaac every day, read books to him, take him on walks, and let him see and be a part of my daily activities as much as possible.  Now that he can sit up better on his own (though supervision is still needed), he is able to play in the kitchen sink while I work next to him doing dishes or preparing meals.  This has opened up a whole new world of delight for our curious little fellow as he plays with sink items, the faucet, the handles and sometimes the water too!

He isn't crawling yet, although he does often push himself backwards on the slick, wood floors.  I have the feeling that once he figures out how to propel himself forward with the act of crawling, it will make my life easier as he will be better able to entertain himself with his mobility, but harder as I will have to train him even further regarding what he can and cannot touch!

At six months old now, Isaac is definitely starting to make known his own will about just about everything and we are having to pick up the pace in the "train up a child" department. :)  Right now, we are working on teaching him not to touch certain off-limit items, not to roll over while his diaper is being changed, and not to whine/fuss about every little thing that displeases him.  It is challenging, to be sure, but I am confident that these training experiences will pay off down the road!  We are also working on simple sign language gestures to help him communicate with us...but we still have a long way to go in that department!

Despite the challenging moments, our little boy continues to fill our days with joy!  So often, an adorable smile or giggle of his has the power to erase whatever frustration I might have been feeling in another department of mothering, and I am reminded what a precious gift he truly is.  How we love our little munchkin!

No comments: