Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Another Stirring Quote

Last night, as I was preparing for bed, the Lord began to speak to my heart. He opened the eyes of my understanding to realize that, lately, I have become so busy serving Him, I have made less time for being with Him.

When I arrived at work this morning and entered our chapel room for quiet time before the day began, the devotional reading that was sitting on the table once again struck a chord in my heart! It's as though God planned today's devotional just for me.

Here is the excerpt that especially confirmed what He's been showing me:

"If we become more consumed with our task than we are with our love for God, our lives will eventually become brittle and desolate. To restore our souls, the Lord brings us back to the essentials of our faith. Indeed, He might even stop our labors completely and direct us to the simpler realities of prayer, time in the Word, and worship. He reminds us that, of all He calls us to accomplish, His greatest commandment is to love Him with all our "heart... soul...mind...and strength." (Mark 12:30) Without this focus, we lose touch with God's presence; we are outside the shelter of the Most High...

Is not intimacy with God the very thing we most negelct? And is not the Lord alone our source of strength in battle? If the enemy can distract us from our time alone with God, he will isolate us from the help that comes from God alone."
~ Francis Frangipane

3 comments:

Sarah Beth said...

Wow... I know exactly how you feel. The Lord has been showing be the same thing. He's been showing me that I'm so busy "doing", analyzing and "becoming" that I'm lost sight of simply abiding. I just want to BE the person God wants me to be so I can DO what He wants me to do!

But... I'm learning that HE'LL change me and that my job is to love Him and rest in that love.

Thanks, Katrina.

Katrina Marie said...

Well said, Sarah. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It's encouraging to know we're going through the same lesson together. :)

Anonymous said...

We are on the same journey!!....thanks for reminding us!
The Whitt Family