Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Glimpse of Miami


Upon our arrival back on American soil from Haiti and the D.R., Bridgette and I realized that we had a 4-hour layover in Miami. Since the idea of sitting around the airport for so long definitely did not appeal to us, we decided to be adventurous and get a glimpse of the Miami Bayside while we were there. (I had never seen Florida before!) We secured maps, talked to the man at the airport bus station, and before we knew it, were seated on a Metro bus heading downtown - and feeling very grown up about it all!

(I have taken public transportation numerous times in other countries - but never in my own!)

After a 45-minute jaunt to the downtown bus stop, we hopped off and walked two blocks to the Bayside where shopping, eateries, and beautiful water abounds! We couldn't have asked for a more perfect day to drink in the sun and sights. Lunch on the water was delightful - then it was back to the bus stop to catch our return bus to the airport.

What a contrast to the hovels of Haiti.




It was a grand way to end the whole adventure!

2 comments:

Sarah Beth said...

Fun fun! Four hours?? I feel for you. : ) I'm in Lima right now... and should be home at 11 am... Lord willing. Can't wait! loved the pics!

~sarah beth

Kate said...

How fun - I have been to Florida twice before and LOVED it - especially the beach!! Beautiful pics!