Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A Tuesday In My Life

6:30 a.m. - ring-ching went the alarm!
I wish I could say I felt as "ring-chingy" as my alarm sounded, but alas! It was more like yawn-yawny. :-)

As with yesterday, I started my day with prayer and Bible reading. Today's passages included more in Zechariah (that really is a fascinating little book) as well as 1 Timothy. Then, it was off to the shower!

As Mema finished toasting the bread for breakfast, I had time to glance over a few of the newspaper's headlines. The article about nuclear warheads in Iran especially caught my attention. Hmmm...maybe the "last days" the Bible speaks about are not too far away.

Breakfast finished, I packed my bags and bid farewell to Mema and Papa. Their hospitality to me every Monday night is a blessing!

My day at work began once again with a few housekeeping necessities like taking out the trash and restocking the bathroom with various items. After a brief conversation with my boss about vacation time this year, I slipped into the chapel for morning devotions. Today's chapel music included a song that I absolutely love entitled In Christ Alone. These lyrics speak so beauitfully of the entire Gospel story:

In Christ alone my hope is found
He is my light, my strength, my song
This Cornerstone, this solid ground
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm
What heights of love, what depths of peace
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease
My Comforter, my All in All
Here in the love of Christ I stand.

In Christ alone, who took on flesh
Fullness of God in helpless babe
This gift of love and righteousness
Scorned by the ones He came to save
‘Til on that cross as Jesus died
The wrath of God was satisfied
For every sin on Him was laid
Here in the death of Christ I live.

There in the ground His body lay
Light of the world by darkness slain
Then bursting forth in glorious Day
Up from the grave He rose again
And as He stands in victory
Sin’s curse has lost its grip on me
For I am His and He is mine
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

No guilt in life, no fear in death
This is the power of Christ in me
From life’s first cry to final breath
Jesus commands my destiny
No power of hell, no scheme of man
Can ever pluck me from His hand
‘til He returns or calls me home
Here in the power of Christ I’ll stand.

Back in the front office, I completed a few tasks like disinfecting doorknobs (it's flu season!) and printing various papers before it was time for morning prayer. Then it was on to a full work day of phone calls, computer data input, faxes, mail-outs, greeting clients, and more phone calls! I was also quite busy today assisting clients who came to watch parenting videos.

The other side of my office, viewed from my desk.

At our pregnancy center, we have a class program called "The Mercy Project." When clients attend the parenting or Bible study classes we offer on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, they earn "credits" that can be redeemed for brand new baby items in a store we have. For example, by attending one class, a client will earn 8 credits. These 8 credits can "buy" her a package of diapers or several outfits. Clients can also earn credits by watching videos from our library or checking out books.

Today, two Hispanic women came in for the last video on their list and they also wanted to visit the store. I always enjoy getting to practice my Spanish with them, and they are very patient with my feeble attempts at their language!

I thought I would give you a pictoral tour of one half of the pregnancy center (what I call the "south wing"), with the other half to follow tomorrow.

After passing through the lobby, this is the hallway you enter. Three out of four counseling rooms are locoated off this hallway as well as the board room .


Counseling Room 1

Counseling Room 2

The Board Room

This is the other hallway in the south wing.
The Ultrasound Room

The Playroom

The Maternity Closet where clients can receive free maternity clothing throughout the duration of their pregnancy.

Hannah's Closet where gently used baby clothes and other items are sorted and stored for those in need. My mom and our dear friends, the Williams, keep this room running!

More from Hannah's Closet.

After another long, but good day at Care Net, I headed home. Dinner was a lovely affair spent with my family as we sampled various sundry food items Mom was trying out for the wedding reception. Then, we sat around the table and discussed how our numbers were looking for the big event. A calculator and invitation list proved handy at this time!

Before long, a knock sounded at the door, signifying the arrival of my piano student, Ariana. She has been taking lessons here for over 3 years, and is a joy to teach! God has definitely blessed Ariana with a musical gift. She started piano with me at age 9 and has progressed quickly!
Tonight, we started with scales and Hanon exercises, followed by her musical pieces. Ariana is currently playing a Musette piece by Bach, River Flows in You by a Korean composer, and Music Box Dancer. Soon, we will be starting in on Christmas music as well as hymn improvisation.

The above video is the song River Flows In You. Ariana was gracious enough to let me film her playing, even though she only started this song 3 weeks ago. While there is much room for polishing and smoothing, she has done a great job tackling a rhymically challenging piece and playing it with feeling!

After bidding good-night to Ariana and her mom, I concluded the day with a nice, long phone call to my adopted family in Peru. It was wonderful to visit first with Sarah (18) and then with "Aunt" Becky. They are SUCH dear friends!

Well, there you have it. Tuesday in a nutshell!
Sweet dreams!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

hey katrina...sorry no email yet, but i thought id post and say i loved the monday-tuesday in a nutshell!


Ariana did a great job! i loved hearing her play!

love,
quinn

Anonymous said...

Hi,
The song River Flows in You sounds very pretty. May I ask where you got the sheet music for it? I too play piano.

Thanks!

A sister in Christ

Katrina Marie said...

A friend of ours has the sheet music and made a copy for us. Then, I made a copy for Ariana. This Korean composer's last name is Yiruma, I believe, and his music is not copyrighted. (You can see other pieces by him on You Tube.)

You might do a search on the Internet for "River Flows In You" by Yiruma, and see what you find!

Anonymous said...

I love that song, In Christ Alone. Sounds like you had a busy day at work.