Sunday, April 18, 2010

Another Excellent Read

When I first read that Debi Pearl was publishing a book called Preparing to Be a Help Meet, I did not think I would need to read it. I mean, I have studied home-making topics and read lots of various marriage books over the years --- so why add another one to my library? Respecting and honoring your husband, being a keeper at home, cooking nutritious meals; I know about all these subjects.

Besides, I am very happy pursuing the adventures of a single girl right now, and while I would love to get married and have a family someday, I thought perhaps a book like this might rock the boat of contentment in my life.

Despite these initial misgivings, however, I decided to add the book to a large order I was making from No Greater Joy recently. Since everything is on sale this month, I might as well, right?

Actually, the more I thought about it, the more I looked forward to reading Preparing to Be a Help Meet! I'm a big fan of the Pearls' writings, and since I greatly enjoyed the original Created to Be His Help Meet, I figured this latest book would at least be interesting.

Well, my order arrived on Friday. I finished the book in three days flat.

Smile.

It was EXCELLENT! It was so much more than I expected! Rather than touching on all "the usual topics," Debi (along with several other contributors) has written an inspiring book full of love stories, practical advice for today, and real-life examples of both good and bad choices that will appeal to any young woman serious about pursuing God's best in her life.

I was extremely encouraged by how the topic of singleness was handled. Debi challenges the reader to be busy about the Lord's work, active in ministry, serving others, taking mission trips, and learning as many skills as she can to benefit her future marriage, rather than sitting around at home waiting for Mr. Right to show up on her doorstep. This way of life is exactly how I have chosen to use my single years, and I have found them to be as fulfilling as she exhorts us to make them!

I also appreciated the chapters about the three kinds of men (Prophet-Visionary, Priest-Steady, King-Command Man) as adapted from her original Created book and the three kinds of women that reflect these characteristics. (But you'll have to read the book to find out about them yourself!)

Of course, reading other young women's courtship stories was lots of fun! Like any other girl, I love a good love story! :-)

I wish I had enough money to buy a copy of this book for all my single friends, but since I am saving for language school in the fall, you'll have to get your own! =) Preparing to Be a Help Meet is one of the BEST books I have ever read on the topic of being an "unmarried woman who cares for the things of the Lord." It is edifying, convicting, balanced, and delightful!

So don't delay! Buy your copy today!

3 comments:

Esther said...

I'm so excited that you have read it!! We are waiting for our copy to come but it won't be here till end of May!! :( I think it is the first book we have ever ordered without reading it first! I really enjoyed Debi's first book so am really really REALLY looking forward to reading this latest one! I'm so glad you liked it. Can't wait till ours comes! lol=)

Hannah Burnett said...

Timely book review....I've been wondering whether I should get that book or not. :)

Thanks for the recommendation!

Nightingale said...

Hi Katrina! I've been following your blog for some time....and was thrilled to hear about your sister's baby she's expecting! Nathan came and spoke at our church in Nebraska a few years ago, so I've been following your family with great interest.

Anyway, I just ordered Debi Pearl's book myself! I have only read a few chapters, but it really is excellent! One of the best books I've ever read on the subject.

Anyway, I love your blog!
Blessings,
Courtney
www.courtneykrause.blogspot.com