Sunday, July 18, 2010

Final Farewell to Ariana

Ever since I was 16 years old, teaching piano has been a major part of my life. I love music, especially piano music, and have greatly enjoyed the opportunity to pass on this love to the various students God has brought my way over the years. Ariana has been with me for four years and demonstrates great talent as well as a dedication to practicing regularly. Due to a variety of commitments in my life this past year, I cut back in my teaching load and kept only Ariana. She has been a joy to teach! A week ago, Ariana completed her years of training with me by performing a personal concert for family and friends in my home. Here is a little glimpse of the event.

Refreshments ready to be served.

Ariana warms up at the piano.

She also performed a couple pieces on her harp to add variety to the concert. I did not teach her harp, although my sister was the one who inspired her to begin playing. She has picked it up swiftly and is developing a real passion for playing this beautiful instrument!

Sugar cookies anyone?

There are plenty of notes to go around!

Another picture with Ariana. She is now thirteen years old and just about all grown up! :-)

As a reward for diligent effort this past semester in accordance with an incentive program I designed to help her practice, Ariana earned a trip to the Houston Symphony with me last night!

Welcome to Jones Hall.

We went to see "The Planets in HD." It was a unique experience which included visual images of planets portrayed on a giant screen while theme songs that had been composed for each planet were played by the orchestra. The concert also included film score music from various space-oriented movies like Star Wars and E.T. ~ which was my favorite part!

Ariana had never been to the symphony before. She enjoyed it tremendously!

A view from the balcony.

A view from our seats.

We had amazing seats. And watching the conductor up close and personal was so entertaining! He was enthusiastic with a capital E!

Going to the symphony made for a memorable farewell to a most beloved student. Now, as I embark on a new adventure in life, it is time to send Ariana on to a more advanced teacher. She has outgrown what I am able to teach her and I look forward to seeing her continue to blossom in her music as she learns under new tutors.

No comments: