Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Hands of Christ in Haiti


Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: for I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. (Matthew 25:34-40)

Ever since coming face to face with this Scripture and numerous others like it during a girls' retreat last summer, a burning desire was planted within me to really live out this verse...to tangibly demonstrate love for my King by serving as His hands and feet to the 'the least of these' in our world - the poor, the oppressed, the fatherless.

Starting tomorrow, the Lord is taking me on a one-week journey to the impoverished island nation of Haiti where I know He wants to teach me more of His heart for such people. I am greatly looking forward to the lessons He has in store as well as the ministry opportunitites this week holds. Life with Him is truly a blessed adventure!

Together with my friend Bridgette, I will be traveling to work with the ministry of Danita's Children at the Hope for Haiti Children's Center where their mission is to rescue, love, and care for orphans. In addition to homes for 75 orphans, the ministry includes a Christian school, a church, a feeding program, a Sunday school outreach, and a children's hospital that is under construction.



Your prayers would be greatly appreciated during this next week as we experience the realities of life in a third world country full of desperate need.

Here are some specific requests:

~ Protection both physically and spiritually. (Haiti is a very dark nation with demonic influences all over. Please pray for God’s hedge of protection.)

~ Health before, during, and after the trip.

~ Wisdom in knowing whether or not Haiti might be a place for future mission work.

~ Christ-like love for the children and creativity in communicating with them through a language barrier.

~ Opportunities to share the Gospel with people at the airport, on the plane, and in the Dominican Republic where we’ll be staying for two nights.

I look forward to being able to share a full report of all that Jesus will do as we go forth in His Name and for His purposes!

Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world. (James 1:27)



2 comments:

Kate said...

I had forgotten that you were heading to Haiti Katrina! How exciting! Take lots of pictures!! Yes, we will definitely be praying for you, and can not wait to hear updates and praise reports!

quinn said...

katrina, i hope you get this in time, but i am praying for you on the trip. let Him use you!!

quinn emery