Saturday, August 22, 2009

A Tribute To My Sister

Scripture says,
"Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth;
a stranger, and not thine own lips."
(Proverbs 27:2)

Because I have the opportunity to live with Katrina, day in and day out, I wanted to share what an inspiration she is to me on a daily basis! First off, let me say that if any of you have ever wanted to be a fly on the wall in our home and see what Katrina is like in "real life," you don't need to come over, because she is at home what she is on this blog!
(That being said, you're welcome to visit any time!)

Recently, I've been thinking about the following ways that Katrina is a blessing to me:

In the mornings, Katrina's first priority is to spend time with the Lord. While I'm checking e-mails from Nathan, she is reading letters from the Love of her Life ~ Jesus! Morning prayer is definitely a priority in my sister's life and even when she is extra tired, Katrina will snuggle back under her blankets and pray.
Always one to lend an encouraging word, I appreciate Katrina's heart to edify the down cast. There have been days when I'm less than perky or my Mom needs a hug and a "pick me up word" and Katrina is there to supply it!
In the midst of my courtship days and wedding planning hours, there have been moments when I've been overwhelmed and "couldn't see the forest for the trees." Katrina has always been there to give me perspective and help me get back on track!


Through my relationship with Nathan, my sister has been my biggest cheerleader! (I know it's not easy when your younger sister gets married first, but because of her contentment with God's plan for her life, Katrina has genuinely supported me every step of the way!) She puts up with my endless use of her laptop, how many times a day I talk about Nathan, and a myriad of other sort of quirks that come with an engaged sister! ;)


As you all have been reading, Katrina has had a recent heart interest in evangelism. She has been very stimulating to be around, enjoys sharing stories of her witnessing oppotunities, helps me think through ideas of how to handle conversations when I'm talking to people about the Lord, and has been a fireball of an example!

As a family, we are a team. Katrina is a great team player! She totes her load whether it be cleaning the bathroom, washing the dishes when we're all tired, teaching Sunday School for Mom, shopping for invitations for me, etc. I really appreciate how attentive she is to bearing one another's burdens.
Katrina has a heart as big as this world for people of other cultures and languages. If her fourth international trip in six years doesn't speak loud enough, let me clarify...Katrina loves to travel and have her heart enlarged by the Lord for needy people all around!


On top of having a heart for the Lord and the things that He finds important, Katrina is just PLAIN FUN to be around! As you can see...






So, all of this to say...
I want to be like Katrina when I grow up! :)

I love you, sister and I'm so grateful to call you my friend!

4 comments:

Vanessa said...

That is sooo beautiful! I always admire the way people talk so lovely about their siblings, you have praised her, just as the bible verse says, another mouth, and not your own!

Shelby said...

Oh, how sweet! Katrina really does sound like a wonderful sister!

~Shelby

Kate said...

What a beautiful tribute - and FYI - I heartily agree with everything you have said about Katrina!! (who Christa and I have decided is our adopted big sister! :)) Welcome back home Katrina!!! And thank you for the example, inspiration, and dear friend you have been to us!!
Much love,
Kate for the Bridges :)

Katrina Marie said...

Thanks for your sweet comment, Kate! I count it an honor and privilege to be an adopted big sis for you and Christa! And I can't WAIT to see your family at the wedding in November, Lord willing! What fun that will be! Thank you for your encouraging friendship and example of young ladies who are walking closely with the Lord. :-)