Thursday, August 6, 2009

Recent Good Reads


Ever since I picked up Randy Alcorn's book called Heaven at a friend's house while babysitting, I have wanted to read it and dive into a study about this topic in Scripture. Alas! The book is at least 2 1/2 inches thick, and thus far, time to devote to such a project has aluded me. I decided instead to settle for an abridged version of the book, written for children. Heaven For Kids was a blessing to read! Not only was I able to finish it quickly due to its thin size, I enjoyed the simple language and descriptions written just for youngsters. :-) Even though I haven't given up my ambition to one day tackle the original Heaven book by Mr. Alcorn, I thoroughly enjoyed his children's version and highly recommend it!



One day, while browsing at Barnes and Noble, I stumbled across two books by Bill Wiese on the topic of hell. This was one of them, and its title intruiged me. I picked it up and started to read. The opening chapters so gripped my attention, that I decided to buy the book. I took it home and continued reading it over dinner, my family being away from home that evening. I was still sitting at the kitchen table reading it at 9:15 p.m. when they walked through the door. Needless to say, I couldn't put it down!

The Bible makes it clear that hell is a terrible place. Reading this man's story makes all those Bible verses come alive even more, confirming the extreme horror of this place of eternal torment. In addition to telling the story of his experience for a brief 23 minutes there, the author describes the Gospel very clearly (using Ray Comfort's model) and dives into a study on all the verses in Scripture pertaining to hell.

I am quite sure it was no coincidence that I stumbled across this book at Barnes and Noble. It is the perfect addition to the "school of evangelism" God been taking me through lately. Reading this book has given me an even greater burden for people, as the idea of anybody spending forever in hell is a horrible thought.

The excuses I often make for myself when it comes to witnessing - such as being timid, lazy, or busy - truly pale in comparision with a little meditation on the fate of those who will be eternally lost if we don't care enough to share the truth of the Law and the Gospel with them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As always, thank you for the book recommendations!!!
The Whitt family