Monday, August 17, 2009

Word Has Been Heard!

We recieved this e-mail from Katrina this morning...


Hi Mom, Dad, and Katelin!

Bridgette and I just finished a delicious breakfast at our hotel here in the Dominican, and as we were wandering around up here on the 6th floor, we found these computers with FREE internet!!!!! Boy, were we excited!

The scenery out the restuarant window up here on the 6th floor is beautiful - lots of mountains surrounding this city! The buildings themselves not so beautiful, but very "Latino." In some ways, it reminds me of Peru, in others, not so much. There are lots of trees around, so Santiago has the appearance of a green city (at least from this high up).

Francis - the taxi driver for Danita's Chidlren - met us at the airport last night and will take us across the border this morning into Haiti. He was holding a sign with our names on it, just like Karris said. As soon as we got with him, he dialed Karris on the phone so I could talk to her. I asked Karris to call you all and gave her Dad's cell number...hope she got in touch!

I don't know what we would have done if I didn't speak Spanish! Nobody around here seems to know much English! Francis and I were able to converse the whole way to the hotel, and I was also able to talk to the lady behind the reservations desk. Whew! That Spanish sure comes in handy in places like these. :-) The real challenge lies ahead as we venture into Creole territory soon.

Our hotel was very comfortable, though there was no hot water (so I thought). As I took a cold shower this morning I kept thinking about GMT! [That stands for Good Missionary Training! It is one of our family's mottos!] :) Bridgette figured out that the water will turn hot if you let it run long enough (a.k.a) 10 minutes. Oh well. Gotta love adventure!

I better go now. I've got to hit the bathroom before we depart on our long taxi ride this morning. Thanks for your prayers! We can really feel God's presence with us, so we're not afraid. Plus, we're very glad to be traveling together. :)

I guess I won't be able to be back in touch until the end of this week when we're back at the hotel. What a thrill to know there'll be internet here waiting!

Take care until then!

Love you all,
Katrina


And so, faithful blog readers, there you have the latest news from the source herself! Stay tuned...

~Katelin :)

1 comment:

Kate said...

Thanks for the update! We are excited to hear all about the trip and the Lord's work in the country of Haiti!