Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Calling All Prayer Partners!


Meet the Earnhart family: Jonathan and Becky, Sarah (18), Andrew (17), Abbey (15), Jacob (14), Justin (12), Amanda (4), and Madyson (6 months). The Earnharts serve as missionaries in Peru, South America.

When I was 18, I lived with their family for six months in order to experience life on the foreign field. During that time, I assisted with the home schooling of the children (there were only 5 kids then!) as well as the numerous ministries their church is involved with. It was an amazing six months. I fell in love with the Earnharts and adopted them as extended family. I fell in love with the Peruvian people and their warm, friendly ways. I fell in love with the Spanish language and tried to learn what I could during my stay.

Ever since those memorable months in Peru, I have longed to return. For the past six years, I have prayed for an opportunity to go back. However, the timing has never been right and the door has never been opened by the Lord.

Until now, that is.

With two weeks off work for the Christmas holiday and all the other details falling into place, the Lord has seen fit to grant me the desire of my heart and the answer to years of prayer. Tomorrow morning at 4:30 a.m. I will depart for Peru for a brief visit to my adopted family! I am so excited, I can hardly wait!

The day after I arrive, the Earnharts, myself, and leaders from their church will be putting on a girls' retreat for young ladies and their mothers. It sounds like it will be very similar to A Maiden's Quest retreat...Spanish-style. :) There are so few resources available to young Christians in Peru to encourage them in their relationships with the Lord. Here in America, we have seminars, conferences, retreats, websites, books, magazines, concerts, camps, radio programs, and more! But there, the resources are limited...if they exist at all. Sarah Earnhart and her mom have a real burden for the young ladies in their church and community. The purpose of the retreat is to provide them with hope, help, and Biblical encouragement for their lives. What a privilege to get to help with this ministry!

I would so appreciate it if each of you would pray for me as I travel and for this retreat that will be taking place December 18-19. Here is a list of specific requests:

~ that I would make my connecting flights without any delays in airline travel

~ that I would get a "green light" at the airport in Lima (which means my luggage won't have to be searched)

~ that God would teach me what He wants me to learn on this trip and provide direction for my future

~ that He would bring the exact girls he wants to the "Doncellas de Dios" (Maidens of God) retreat and that He would do a mighty work in their hearts and lives

~ that God would give me and my translator the right words as we speak on the topics of "Living with Eternal Purpose" and "A Love Story Written by God" so that the messages would be exactly what the girls need to hear

Thank you, friends! I will do my best to keep up with blogging while I am gone so that you can see pictures and hear reports of all that God will do!

6 comments:

Sheila said...

Wow! What an opportunity! I will be in prayer for you as you embark on this journey.

God bless,
Sheila

Hannah said...

What an awesome opportunity! I will be praying! =)

Kasey said...

Wow, Katrina! Sounds exciting! We will be praying for you!

Unknown said...

How wonderful to know of someone who is going to a place where I have never been - and I am half-Peruvian!! :) My Dad is from Peru and came up here in '87. He's been here ever since, but has been able to go back and visit a couple times. Where in Peru will you be going, exactly? I shall be praying that you have a safe trip!! Many blessings!

~Miss Raquel

quinn emery said...

how exciting, Katrina! I am so glad that God has opened this door for you to go to Peru...that door has not been opened for me yet. Someday I hope, though!

May God bless you, dear friend!

Merry Christmas!
love,
quinn

Kate said...

We are praying Katrina! That is so exciting! May the Lord bless you with extra strength and wisdom as you minister to these girls. Love you! ~ Kate and Christa