Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Older Sister's Perspective


A lot of people have expressed genuine concern towards me over these last several months about the fact that my younger sister would be getting married first. Many have assumed that this must be a hard thing for me to experience, and while of course I'd be happy for my sister, surely I must be feeling a bit sad for the single state I find myself in, wondering when in the world my turn will come!

I would like to take the opportunity in this blog post to set the record straight. Watching Katelin go through the beautiful journey of courtship, blooming love, engagement, and now marriage has been a tremendous joy. I have been so delighted for her and Nathan as God has been scripting their love story, there just hasn't been any room for sorrow or self-pity!

And as an older sister, I have been especially thrilled to get to watch my younger sister go first in something for once and be the "guinea pig" from whom I can learn! By being second in line, I have received the privilege of observing her experience, my parents' reactions, courtship conversations, wedding preparations, and more, all the while making mental notes about what I would and would not like to do the same if it's ever in God's plan for me to marry. Katelin has been a great example.

It is by the grace of God that I can truly say that I am content and, yes, even grateful for this season of singleness that I am walking in right now. Marriage to a Godly man who loves the Lord is definitely a gift to be cherished and received with deep appreciation from God. But I would suggest that singleness is also a precious gift to be received with equal appreciation and used to the fullest for the glory of Jesus Christ.

As God's Word says, "The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit." (1 Cor. 7:34) This season of singleness offers so much opportunity for developing a close relationship with the Lord as the foundation for my future...whatever it may hold. There is also a great deal of freedom and availability to engage in missionary work both locally and abroad that will not be the same if/when a husband and children come along. I am so grateful for the opportunities to travel and share the Gospel in foreign countries, to minister to busy mothers in my own backyard, to work at Care Net Pregnancy Center, and lead Bible study for young Chinese girls...among many other activities in life. Truly, this season of singleness is proving to be a wonderful adventure with Jesus that I am loving!

So...for all those of you who have been wondering about me lately...wondering how I've been holding up in the midst of Katelin's exciting times...wondering if I am pining away over my "tragic" state of singleness...you can stop wondering. :-) Rest assured that all is well. There is no need for pity in my direction. Because of the all-sufficient grace of my God, He and I continue to walk this road together and the journey is truly full of joy.

"Thou wilt show me the path of life; in Thy presence is fulness of joy; at Thy right hand there are pleasures forever more." Psalm 16:11

9 comments:

Sarah Beth said...

Hey Katrina!

What an encouraging post to read! Thank you for sharing those thoughts and verses. I'm kinda coming to that age where everyone assumes your dating or something... and most ppl are shocked when I tell them I'm not dating and that I don't WANT to date!

Singleness truly is a gift from the Lord. I honestly pity those girls that believe that life starts after marriage. They're missing SO much! You have been such an encouragement and example to me... I remember watching you when you were 18\19...

Anyway, I'm sending you a huge cyber hug And I'm proud of my "older sis".

Love ya!

sb

Anonymous said...

So good to know, Katrina!

Unknown said...

I really appreciated your thoughts on singleness. It has been something the Lord has graciously been showing me recently. I also have been enjoying your blog for some time now, and you have been an encouragement to me. I think it is neat that you work for a crisis pregnancy center.
Blessings!
Melinda

Hannah said...

Thank you, Katrina!

I was just reading the verse in 1 Corinthians and was blessed and encouraged by it. Your post was like the icing on the cake of what God is teaching me. Thanks!

Love,
Hannah

Anonymous said...

Wow! What an encouraging post! Thanks for sharing!

In Him,
~Sarah H.

~Rebekah Bjur~ said...

Hey Katrina!
It's me.. Becky Bjur :P I LOVE your blog, and I really enjoyed this post! Thank you so much for sharing, and thank you for being so encouraging! Sarah once let me borrow the Maiden's Quest DVDs, and I enjoyed them sooo much. So even if I don't exactly "know" you, you're a great example and blessing to my life.
See you at the retreat! yay!

Love in Christ,
Becky

Hannah said...

Such an encouraging post, thanks for sharing it! =)

Mrs. U said...

Hi there!!!
I'm not quite sure how I found your lovely blog, but somehow I ended up here on this post. Isn't the blog world a funny place how things like this can happen?

My sister is younger than me and was married 5 years before I was. People wondered how I would do, too. Ha! I was very happy that my sister was happy. And when my turn came along, it was MUCH easier to organize because I used all the same people she did for photography, catering, flowers, etc. What a blessing!!!

I'm going to look around your lovely blog for a bit more! Have a blessed weekend!

His,
Mrs. U

Katrina Marie said...

Thank you for your encouraging comment, Mrs. U. I enjoyed seeing your blogs as well! What a beautiful daughter you have! :-)