Monday, September 26, 2011

Count it all joy...


Sometimes life brings us curveballs.
The unexpected.
The unplanned.
The undesired.

And yet, I am learning, that God still wants us to strive for a home-run, no matter what kind of pitch we are served.

For me, that means continuing to give thanks even when the trials multiply.

Even when, say...I get sick with Hepatitis A.
Even when the nausea is so bad, I can hardly move, and food...well, food is pretty much out of the question.
Even when I am so weak, walking is a challenge and a simple trip downstairs for water requires a 20-minute rest afterward to recover.
Even when energy to do anything just doesn't exist.
Even when loneliness creeps in and I just want my mom.

Yes, even on days like this, God tells me to give thanks.

And really - there is still so much to be grateful for!

281. The sound of rain pitter-pattering outside my window

282. The smell of rain

283. Strength to wring out school clothes even while a fever raged (before I took to my bed)

284. A nifty little device that serves as a fan or heater by turn

285. Ramen noodle soup

286. Birds chirping outside my window

287. The boundless energy of children

288. Extra volunteers to cover my shifts

289. Water to quench my parched mouth

290. Hope in the midst of disease

291. Skype calls home to ease the loneliness

292. The gift of health that I've enjoyed so much and so long and rarely stopped to give thanks for

I have been taking time to recover and rest for the past four days now, but considering that I will be contagious for another week yet, my days in the isolation ward will continue. The Hepatitis itself could take up to two months to heal from. Your prayers would be greatly appreciated; for a swift and thorough recovery, for learning all that God has for me during this time, and for additional help here at Casa de Amor House II considering that I am out of commission for at least a week and we are already short-staffed. Thank you, dear friends!

"Count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations, knowing that the trying of your faith worketh patience; but let patience have her perfect work that ye may be perfect and entire wanting nothing." James 1:2-4

By God's grace, patience is not finished with me yet! :)

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh I'm so sorry your sick!
I hope you get well soon!
My family has had a cold for almost a week now, but it doesn't sound as nearly as bad as what you have.
I will be praying for you.

Jacob Sweeney said...

Praying for you sweet friend and encouraged by you faith!

Kate said...

We are definitely praying...I'm so sorry Katrina! Keep us updated on how you're doing.

Remember, "When I am weak, THEN am I strong." (1 Corinthians 12:10)

Love you, you're often in my thoughts and prayers.

~ Kate

Tara said...

Dear Katrina,

I am SO sorry to hear that you are sick! I command you to rest A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-) I love you dear friend!

Much Love,
Tara

Jennifer said...

Praying for you, the staff and the children. May God heal you quickly and thoroughly!