Sunday, July 3, 2011

Greetings from Cochabamba!

The hour is late and the internet is slow, so I won't be able to post much right now, but I did want to let you all know that I have made it safe and sound to Bolivia! Thank you so much for praying for my safety! There was some concern that arose when the Miami airport shut down due to storms (where I was to make my connecting flight to Bolivia). We circled in the air for awhile, detoured to Ft. Myers, and encountered more delays out on the runway. But, by God's grace, I made it at long last to Miami and had enough time to check my bags all over again for the international flight before boarding. God is good!

Ever since I arrived here in Cochabamba, I have hit the ground running! There has been so much to learn including children's names, ages, and personalities, household rules and expectations, discipline methods, where things are stored, new Spanish vocabulary, city directions, names of staff "tias", what my responsibilities will be, etc., etc., etc.! Yes, it's been overwhelming and challenging, but God is helping me and I am leaning on His strength for every moment! I am also grateful for patient teachers as I follow them around and ask them a million questions throughout the day. :)

Technically, my shifts don't officially start until Tuesday, but with several staff members on vacation, an extra set of hands has been helpful for staying on top of dishes, laundry, cleaning, and child care.

I've been so busy, I haven't taken the time to snap pictures until tonight. The first one here was taken the day I arrived which would describe the tired features after 24 hours of travel with very little sleep. :) The next few are pictures I took tonight on my computer as I had a bunch of kiddos gathered around for show and tell of my family and friends. Hope you enjoy! Until next time...

Kaley, my roommate for three weeks and amazing teacher of all things pertaining to House 2 where I am officially stationed.

Kiddo Pics!




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute pics! :) Praying for you, dear Katrina!
~Hannah L.

Kate said...

So excited for you Katrina! Keep the updates coming!
We went witnessing yesterday at a fireworks display/air show, and I talked to a girl who reminded me SO much of you!! So fun!

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it safely! I've been praying for you!

~Sarah H.

P.S. Cute pics of the kids!

Anonymous said...

Dear Katrina,
You have been in our prayer ever since you left. I have been shared with the kids about God's provision in your life in Bolivia. It is really neat to see how kids (Sheldon and Iris) remembers you in their prayers.
In our prayer meeting today (7/6), Mrs Taylor shared these verses with all the ladies. I thought about you and your struggles. 2 Corinthians 4:8-9, 17-18. "We are troubled in every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed; . . . For our light affliction, which is but a moment, worth for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seems: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal." Thank you, Katrina, for laying your life before God and making a difference in those kids' life. We will continue lift you up in our prayers.
Love you,
Ho Family