Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Hardships and Blessings

"To him will I give the land that he hath trodden upon...because he hath wholly followed the Lord." (Deut. 1:36)

Every hard duty that lies in your path, that you would rather not do, that will cost you pain and struggle or sore effort to do, has a blessing in it. Not to do it, at whatever cost, is to miss the blessing.

Every hard piece of road on which you see the Master's shoe-prints and along which He bids you follow Him, surely leads to blessing, which you cannot get if you cannot go over the steep, thorny path.

Every point of battle to which you come, where you must draw your sword and fight the enemy, has a possibly victory which will prove a rich blessing to your life. Every heavy load that you are called to lift hides in itself some strange secret of strength. - J.R. Miller

- Today's reading from Streams in the Desert.

This passage really spoke to me today because I have found its words so true in my six month sojourn here in Bolivia. There have been hard duties, struggles, and sacrifices, yet many, many blessings and lessons learned along the way that I know I never would have experienced otherwise. Praising God today for His sovereign working in my life and His all-sufficient grace that is enough. No matter what.

1 comment:

Tara said...

I've been thinkning about you A LOT!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for this post, what an encouragement! When are you headed back home?

Love,
Tara