Friday, December 9, 2011

The Mommy-For-A-Month Chronicles #7

Final Installment


Well, my month at Casa de Amor House 3 officially came to an end on Wednesday with the arrival of the Mitchell family from their furlough in the States. It was such a special time spent with five precious children, and definitely the highlight of my time in Bolivia so far!

One of the things I enjoyed so much about being a mommy for a month was the better understanding it gave me of the heart God has for us as Father. As I went about my days mothering little ones, I learned:

- Just as voluntary gratefulness expressed by the children pleased me and brought a smile to my face, a thankful spirit and expressions of gratefulness pleases our Father greatly.
"It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord, and to sing praises unto Thy Name, O Most High." (Psalm 92:1)

- Just as it thrilled me to see growth in the lives of the children as they reached milestones, conquered fears, and learned new skills, it thrills the heart of our Father God to see spiritual growth in His children's lives.
"But grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." (2 Peter 3:18)

- Just as I constantly tried to teach the children not to whine or complain, God doesn't want us as His children to whine or complain.
"Do all things without murmurings and disputings." (Philippians 2:14)

- Patience is so very key when training children, and although I often failed in this area and demonstrated impatience with my little charges, God is never that way with us. He is oh-so-very-patient and longsuffering always.
"But Thou, O Lord, art a God full of compassion, and gracious, long suffering, and plenteous in mercy and truth." (Psalm 86:15)

- Just as I tried to instill in the children the importance of immediate obedience the first time they received an instruction, first-time obedience pleases our Father greatly. When His promptings come from the Holy Spirit nudging our hearts, whispering to our consciences, or shouting to us from the pages of Scripture, we would do well to obey instantly, for this demonstrates our love for the Lord.
"If ye love Me, keep my commandments." (John 14:15)

What a privilege to know this God as Father and to be His very own child!



1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Amen to all that you said! I also learn that I appreciate children placing their trust in me. I'm sure our Father would be pleased when we trust Him with a child-like heart. "Trust in the Lord...and He shall direct my path." When Sheldon did not trust that I can be a safe driver, it hurts :(