Thursday, December 29, 2011

Jewels from Jeremiah (part 1)


Throughout the month of December, I have been reading the book of Jeremiah and finding many wonderful jewels tucked in its pages! I thought I would share a few here today.


"Then the Word of the Lord came unto me saying, Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations." Jeremiah 1:5

This verse reminds me of God's omniscience, knowing all before it happens, and of His sovereignty, planning all the details of our lives before we're even born. It's incredibly awe-inspiring to think on these things...

~~~

"Be not afraid of their faces, for I am with thee to deliver thee, saith the Lord." Jeremiah 1:8

How often we look to a person's face for approval! So much is communicated in the face. A good reminder to be a God-pleaser rather than a people-pleaser.

~~~

"For behold, I have made thee this day a defensed city,
and an iron pillar,
and brazen walls against the whole land...
and they shall fight against thee; but they shall not prevail against thee;
for I am with thee, saith the Lord, to deliver thee."
Jeremiah 1:18-19

A good reminder that when God is for us, none can prevail against us. God always makes for a majority! There is great security in His will.

~~~

"They that handle the law knew me not...they walked after things that do not profit....wherefore I will yet plead with you, saith the Lord...my people have changed their glory for that which doth not profit." Jeremiah 2:8, 9, 11

This passage shows me how very much God wants to be known by His people. It is paramount in His heart. Also, I am reminded of the importance of walking after things that profit.

~~~

"For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken Me the Fountain of Living Waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water." Jeremiah 2:13

This verse really captivated my attention. God considers it an evil to forsake Him (see also verse 19). He does not want to be forsaken but rather sought after, pursued, believed in! This verse reminds me so much of the majority of people today. Rather than trust in the Lord God , and drink satisfied from His living waters, they are trusting in their own broken merits and trying to seek satisfaction from the wrong sources. Such sadness to the heart of God.

~~~

"But thou hast played the harlot with many lovers; yet return again to Me, saith the Lord...Wilt thou not from this time cry unto Me, My Father, Thou art the Guide of my youth?...Return, thou backsliding Israel, saith the Lord; and I will not cause mine anger to fall upon you; for I am merciful, saith the Lord and I will not keep anger forever." Jeremiah 3:1, 4, 12

As I read these verses and I see God's heart for His people, despite her unfaithfulness, I am overwhelmed by the incredible depths of God's mercy for me! His goodness is indescribable!

~~~

"The Lord liveth, in truth, in judgment, and in righteousness; and the nations shall bless themselves in Him, and in Him shall they glory." Jeremiah 4:2

I love this description of the Lord as well as the reminder that there is nothing else worth glorying in besides Him!

2 comments:

Becca said...

I am also reading Jeremiah right now, so I appreciated this post. Thank you!

Krista K. said...

Katrina,there are some really really good jewels there. I would say the looking to God for approval was the one that stood out to me the most. (That's my weakness...) So many good reminders! Blessings, ~Krista