Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Mommy-For-A-Month Chronicles #1

Well, the adventure has officially begun!

After five days here observing the household routine and spending plenty of time with the children, it came time to fly solo today.

Although, it wasn't exactly solo the whole time. Tía Ana arrived at 7:30 to help take the boys to school and do her usual cooking/cleaning duties until 3:30. And Alexis, our new volunteer freshly arrived from the United States as of yesterday, spent part of the day with us as well getting to know the adorable children of this household.

So yes, we had company throughout the day and plenty of help.

But there were also quite a few hours of actually flying solo.

I am very pleased to report that there were no major mishaps, no accidents, no diaper explosions, no burnt food, and no moments where I just wanted to pull my hair out. Not even close. There were, however, plenty of kisses given, hugs shared, books read, a trip to the park slipped in, yumminess eaten, smiles, giggles, and lots of love lavished.

It was a good day. I. Love. These. Children.

And can I also mention, just for the record, that I am also loving the little luxuries that come with the job? Things like hot running water even in the kitchen (!), a microwave, a dryer, clean-ish bathrooms nearly all the time, and (gasp!) wireless internet. Don't get me wrong. It's very possible to live without these extra little items, as I've well learned during my time here in Bolivia. But it's also such a blessing to have them again. Just sayin'...

Pictures will hopefully get posted tomorrow. The blogger in me would love to post them tonight for your enjoyment, but the mommy in me knows that my time for a shower and quiet moments with the Lord are extremely limited. Seeing as how the little ones are asleep and the house is deliciously quiet, I am opting for the shower and quiet time and then it's off to bed! 6:00 a.m. seems to come especially early here!

Therefore, without further ado, this is one tired-but-happy mommy signing off for the night. See you tomorrow blog world!

4 comments:

Emily said...

I'm so excited for you to write more about you "mommy for a month" experience!!!

Tsmmy Mitchell said...

I'm glad you are enjoying your time with our kido's. Thanks again for offering to take care of them while we spend a month in the states with our family. See you in December!

Susannah! said...

Oh fun, fun, fun!
Are they all brothers and sisters?

Kelsie Steele said...

Yay for hot water!! So glad you're enjoying this new stint and that the children are so fun!