Saturday, November 19, 2011

Saturday Morning Pancakes

Just for the record, I love gingerbread.
And ginger snaps.
And molasses cookies.
And spice cake.
And pretty much anything within this general family of autumn-ish spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and allspice.

So, when I read on Facebook about a friend making gingerbread pancakes, it sounded like a recipe I would love to try!

And try them we did.
This morning.
Because Saturday is pancake-breakfast-day.

The verdict?
They were delicious.
Make that DELICIOUS.

And it's not just because I'm biased to anything with autumn spices.
Seriously.
Try them.
You'll see what I mean!


Gingerbread Pancakes

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons each of:
baking soda
cinnamon
ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cloves
(I used nutmeg since I didn't have ground cloves on hand)
1 1/2 cups apple juice
(original recipe calls for a 12 oz. can of frozen apple juice concentrate, but since I don't have access to that, the apple juice worked just fine)
1/4 cup oil or melted butter
2 eggs

I like thick pancakes so this is how I made the batter and it came out beautifully. However, if you prefer thinner pancakes, the original recipe calls for 1/2 cup water as well.

We topped our pancakes with a combination of butter and honey melted together. I also added a splash of molasses on top and it added an extra punch that was scrumptious.

Enjoy this amazing and healthy taste of fall!


2 comments:

Susannah! said...

Oh I love pancakes!!!
Those sound delicious!

Kelsie Steele said...

Can't wait to try these! Thanks for sharing!