Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Thankful Today

Today has been one of those days. A toddler in potty training who seems to wait to go the bathroom until the minute she's off the little potty seat. A three-year-old who threw several temper tantrums - the kicking and screaming kind - because she simply did not want to obey. Little ones who seemed a bit more whiney than usual.

Yet, in the midst of the patience-testing moments that have seemed to fill my day today, I am reminded by the One who lives within me to give thanks. Always. For everything. To look for the beauty in every moment.

So today, I am thankful for the toddler who, despite her many accidents while in potty training, is full of hugs and love for this mama-in-training. I am thankful that after a frustrating morning of unsuccessfully getting anything worthwhile in the potty, we finally experienced a victory around lunch time! I am thankful for the three-year-old, who, after the storms passed with the help of a few discipline sessions, returned to being her sunny little self full of smiles and submission once again. And I am thankful for the whiney little ones who are usually so happy that a few extra whines seems very out of place! I am thankful for the amazing amount of joy they fill my life with.

And just for the record, the list in my journal has been growing lately:

November 10, 2011

341. Little K's precious, heart-melting mile and adorable wrinkle-nose face

342. Miss C singing "Happy Birthday" in English - the same line over and over again

343. Snuggles and cuddles with the three most adorable girls in Cochabamba

344. Purple api all over Little A

345. The sun on the mountains in the morning giving them a reddish hue

346. A bright and cheery fruit salad

347. Little J's hugs and smiles

348. J.K.'s excitement to show me his latest trick at the park

349. Quiet evenings

350. Answered prayer that J.K. did not have any nightmares last night

351. Strength to push the double stroller and thus enjoy daily morning walks.

352. Tía Ana's friendship

353. Gratefulness expressed by little people

354. Seeing their delight to do chores

355. Sunlight filtering through a tree on a nearby road creating an amazing display of light rays all around


November 11, 2011

356. Little A's bravery to try the swings at the park today; her enjoyment of the experience gave my heart such a thrill!

357. The affection of precious little ones

358. The warm, homey smell of molasses ginger cookies filling the house as they baked in the oven

359. All the training on child-training from which I've benefitted over the years

360. Fresh salad on a daily basis

361. A park close to home for my energetic little brood

362. How Spanish is rolling off my tongue so naturally these days

363. Puzzles, crayons, and play-dough

364. Book reading times with the boys

365. Their precious, heart-felt prayers at bedtime and how J.K. wants to thank God every day for the life of His Son, Jesus

366. The children's eagerness for Bible stories at breakfast

367. The significance of the cross

368. The patience God has with me

369. The joy of serving Him

370. The gift of eternal life with Him


November 15, 2011

371. The life of my grandmother, Joanne Knowles, and the many things she has taught me

372. A quiet evening rain storm

373. The delightful aroma of cinnamon

374. Sunshine every morning in the faces of the children

375. An incredibly soft and comfortable bed in which to sleep

376. The joy of seeing the twins reach little milestones (feeding themselves better, drinking out of regular cups, adding to their vocabulary, allowing water in the face, swinging at the park, going potty, following instructions so well, repeating prayers at lunch, etc.)

377. Hearing Little A and C lisp the words "wuv oo" when I tuck them in bed at night and tell them, "I love you"

378. Making banana bread with J.K. and seeing his delight at mashing the bananas!

379. Tupperware all over the kitchen floor

380. Sink baths

381. Flowers by the wayside

3 comments:

Kate said...

Thinking about you and praying for you today...I am amazed as I read your posts and see your heart for these children...not just to babysit them, but to pour your life into them, train them, and love them. They are truly blessed.

Thank you for your example of selflessness to all those watching your life!

Love you,
Kate

Susannah! said...

What wonderful blessings we all have! Thank you for sharing some of yours!!

Shelby Thomas said...

Mmm... gifts, gifts... all around. One of the most revolutionary thoughts for me was Ann Voskamp's point that to actually receive a gift from God means acknowledging it, speaking or writing it... and then actually thanking Him for it. Remember that line of how disgraceful sloppy wide brush gratitude is? So true...

Nearly 900 semblence{counted} gifts into my journey, and I've come to treasure my little journals. When pressure mounts and stress builds and I begin to complain... I run to it. Read it. Remember His grace... and then seek His grace in the moment. Active love and gratitude to our God.

Such a missing puzzle piece. Isn't it wonderful that God has given us the grace of actually acknowledging His grace?! It's infinite, no?

Praying for you, Miss Katrina, and those dear little ones of yours. You're certainly an encouragement to many, including me.

Love,
Shelby